Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Why are Web 2.0 tools separate from each other?

I like blogging, now that I've tried it. But it bugs me that blogging software just does blogging (and wikis just do wikis ...). If I want to upload some files to the blog, like I can with a Google Group, I can't do it. I also can't email to it. If i want to collaboratively edit a single document, I need to either go with a wiki, or sharepoint etc. It would be nice to keep all the files, emails, notes etc associated with a project in one place. Groups are pretty useful, and they have a kind of simple blogging function, but it isn't as good as blogging programs. Not as sophisticated, and fewer features. Wikis seem nice, but the formatting available is not nearly what a Word file would give you.

If only all of these Web 2.0 things were built out of smaller widgets that could be inter-combined at will.

1 comment:

Steve Borgatti said...

I just created my first wiki. Now I really feel strongly about the need for integration. It has pages like blog posts, but missing rss feeds, and seeing them organized by time etc. On the other hand, you can see who edited what, which is great. Unlike google group in that respect. But like google groups, it has the ability to upload files, and even better than google groups, allows you to create folders.